November 13, 2011

Sundry Sunday

So here I am on a Sunday night, trying to think of something to write about.  Rutabagas?  My joyful discovery that some brands of sharp cheddar are lactose-free?  The fact that we still have a (fake) jack-o-lantern and skull decorating our living room?  They've taken quite a "shine" to each other.  (Sorry.)




Maybe I'll write an ode to my boyfriend, Bob's Candy Canes.  Or about my snot factory sweet son who is sick right now.  Poor Nature Boy.




Ooh, I know!  How about the fact that today is my in-laws' 40th wedding anniversary?!  Yeah, that's it.  The folks who raised Tree Guy surely merit more than a mention.  So here it goes.




Aren't they cute?  He's a silver fox and she's a white hot blonde.  They have tons of friends (only one of them is invisible), and they enjoy traveling and red wine.  This photo was taken 5 years ago at a gigantic family reunion. (I married into a prolific family.)  Check out Tree Guy's brothers.  Somehow my in-laws managed to raise three awesome men.  They were raised on a diet of Star Trek, Weird Al, and marching band, yet they turned out just fine.  (Amazing!)  And 40 years later, Nana and Papa are still partners and friends.  Such an inspiration. 

I did some research and discovered that the traditional gift for a 40th anniversary is ruby.  My father-in-law is fantastic at buying his woman jewelry, so I'll, uh, leave that to him.  I want to give them something meaningful though.  A ruby red grapefruit?  A puppy named Ruby?  (My father-in-law would LOVE that.  He's similar to Tree Guy when it comes to pets...  Scrooges!)  Help me think of something, y'all!

P.S.  Don't forget about the Everyday Hilarity Writing Contest!  Get your submissions in by November 23rd so I have something to read while I scarf down my pumpkin pie.

6 comments:

  1. Oooo, what about some of those Ruby Red Slippers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love your jack-o + skull picture. I'd love to post it on my blog with a link to yours. May I?
    I would love to win me a fro wig, too. We'll see...
    --Mama (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think my father-in-law likes sequins, Jen! LOL!

    Sure, Mama. Go ahead. I'm sure the jack-o-lantern and skull would want their interspecies love story to be shared with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for spreading the love. I will post soon.
    (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I said "soon" -- but I couldn't wait for my small little sphere of influence to be made exponentially happier by your weird and awesome creation -- so, it's already up! http://youknowwhatmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/yeah-i-said-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to your in-laws on 40 years!

    ReplyDelete